Published on:

How Do I Survive If I Can’t Return to Work After a Car Accident?


by Kevin P. DeMello, esq.

One of the most terrifying experiences following an automobile accident is the realization that you may not be able to return to work for an extended period of time. How will you pay your rent or mortgage? Provide for your family? One thing you can do now to protect yourself and your family is to purchase disability insurance. This type of insurance is available to cover your lost wages in case you are disabled from employment for an extended period of time. However, if you are already injured and unable to work, and do not have disability insurance, there are options for you.

If your accident took place while you were working, for instance, on your way to a client site, or while transporting materials for your employer, you are probably covered by workers compensation insurance. Typically, workers compensation coverage pays 60% of your lost wages. If you were not working at the time of your accident, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage may be available. Everyone in Massachusetts is required to carry Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. PIP is available pay for 75% of lost wages that result from your automobile accident, up to $8,000. Often, however, the $8,000 of coverage is often not sufficient to cover someone out of work for an extended period of time. In such cases, contact the Department of Transitional Assistance, or DTA at 617-348-8500. In many cases, the DTA can provide assistance to persons out of work as a result of an automobile accident.

If you were injured in an automobile accident, and are unable to work, it is important to contact a competent attorney right away to protect your rights. At Keches Law Group, we specialize in these types of claims. Call us for a free consultation.

Contact Information